Thursday, May 14, 2015

Be the Village


It takes a village to raise a child. We have all heard this saying and more likely than not, have shaken our heads in agreement. When a new child comes, we celebrate the mother's journey through pregnancy and we jump at the chance to sniff the new baby's wonderful newly born fragrance. We might even make a casserole or two. Does that make us the village? What does the village do?

Two years ago, I was living in the Czech Republic when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. Admittedly, I was fairly homesick and this pregnancy added fuel to my desire to return home. (Note: now that I am home, I am anxious to get back into the world again. Life is funny/annoying that way) During my first trimester, I read an article regarding the treatment of mothers within Westernized society (specifically American)Read Here. The author discussed society's tendency towards supporting the pregnant woman and ignoring the challenging journey of the new mother. For example, people tend to offer up their seats to pregnant women but tend to stare at the new mom in the store struggling with a diaper bag, stroller, screaming child and clear signs of sleep deprivation. This second woman, this new mom, she is the one in need of a village.

The woman you once were, you will never be again. Your physical body has changed. Your emotional balance has changed. Sleep habits are a memory at best. Typically, you are given just about 6 weeks to recover and get your life back to normal only it's not normal. It is new, uncharted territory and somehow you are supposed to have all of the answers.

Before I had given birth, I was having a hard day and my partner asked me if I thought I might struggle with postpartum depression. I just assumed I wouldn't because I was in tune with my needs, could recognize warning signs, etc. I was prepared and looking for postpartum depression as was my partner, midwife, and family. We all worried that I might fall into a depression that inhibited my ability to bond with my child. I wasn't depressed but I wasn't right.

At no point did I consider the depth of postpartum needs and in fact, did not realize the extent of my needs until at least 6 months post birth. Nobody else seemed to think about it either.

Moms need support, Dads and partners need support. We need support beyond just saying "welcome to motherhood, it is hard." It is hard, but what can we do with that statement? Do we just struggle along pretending like we are getting it all done?



That's where I come in. Village Raised Postpartum Support Services is designed to be an authentic support for your journey. Customized postpartum support created to meet you and your family's specific needs. You are not crazy. You are wonderful. You are just on a journey. Trust the process and let me be your village.

No comments:

Post a Comment