Thursday, May 14, 2015

What about Dads?

Someone once told me that it takes a woman all of one minute to become a mother. In that moment of a positive pregnancy test, a woman immediately views the world through new eyes. Men take a little longer to prepare. While, I am not sure if I agree that men aren't fathers until birth, I will say that the experience of growing into parents is different for each side.

Gender roles in parenting continue to change for the better with more stay at home dads and men now able to take family time when needed. I will say that we have a long way to go in terms of effective family leave but that is for another post. Back to the point at hand, Dads matter.

I was blessed with an amazing father and somehow was lucky enough to find a similar father for my own child. In our journey together, he has been incredibly supportive although admittedly, there have been moments when I am not sure what support I need and he is equally in need of support. Postpartum support for men is virtually non-existent. Imagine, your life has changed, your partner has changed. Hormones reign supreme in the home and communication styles have changed. Oh, and let's not forget about sleep deprivation! That struggle is real!

My amazing partner worked full time weeks after our daughter's birth. He is our only breadwinner which is a blessing for our daughter as it has allowed me the time to be with her but it has been incredibly stressful to have our entire weight on his shoulders. Soon, I am going to ask him to share a post about his experience transitioning from man to provider.

When you think about your postpartum journey, do you include your partner? What has their experience been like? How do you support each other? What do you want for each other as parents?

Think about these questions with your partner. Comment below with your observations.


No comments:

Post a Comment