Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What does the love of a child feel like and when did you first notice it?

That moment after I had exposed of my business to a crowd of strangers and stretched myself beyond belief, the love of my life said "it's Ellington" and he handed me my brand new daughter. As she instinctively crawled up my chest and moved into breastfeeding for the first time, I fell head over heels in love with newest love of my life. I am sure many parents can identify with that feeling of intense love for this new little life.

In those first few weeks, all I did was stare at her and kiss her beautifully round head. Slowly, my hormonal imbalance made its presence known and it was in the moments that E showed her love for me that I was able to manage it. She would coo, she would smile and most importantly (and still practiced today), she would stick her hand on my lips and wait for a kiss. There it was, the small act to remind me to love her. To remind me that every little bit of tenderness was nurturing to her and healing for me.

Having a child can be isolating, especially when you are the first of the friends to enter motherhood. Having a child who loves to show love reminds you of the ultimate gift you have been given in parenting.

If you find yourself in a hormonal quagmire, take a moment, take a breath. Remember that first moment you felt a connection with your baby (either in womb or post birth) and try to connect with their gifts of love toward you. Breathe. Love back.

No comments:

Post a Comment